Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixing Flash sound, the Better Way

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Fixing Flash sound, the Better Way

I've noticed that a common sound problem a lot of users have is when they're browsing the web, there's no sound from Flash animations. For some, this is a blessing, but for people who do browse sites that use the stuff (Homestar Runner immediately comes to mind), sound is necessity. So I cooked up this quick guide on how to fix it.

First, off, I'll say that one common solution I've seen thrown around is
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libesd.so.0 /usr/lib/libesd.so.1
    This usually works in getting Flash sound to work. However, in some configs, this causes Flash sound to go out of sync. If this happens, delete /usr/lib/libesd.so.1 and follow these steps...

1) Set up your system to use ALSA dmix mixing and AOSS emulation according to this thread.

2) Install the alsa-oss package.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install alsa-oss
    3) Open up /etc/mozilla-firefox/mozilla-firefoxrc in gedit or whatever your text editor of choice is. Then, modify this line
    Code:
    FIREFOX_DSP="auto"
    to
    Code:
    FIREFOX_DSP="aoss"
    What this does it let Flash run through ALSA's OSS emulation. So Flash sound will not only be in sync (because it isn't forced through another layer of sound like ESD), but it will also play even if you have other apps that use sound running in the background.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by NeoChaosX; December 12th, 2005 at 09:46 AM.
    What's wrong with closed and open source co-exisiting?

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Re: Fixing Flash sound, the Better Way

I just want to add that i had problems back in preview using FIREFOX_DSP="aoss" , firefox used to hang when i try to quit the page with the animation...
    [My Blog] | [My Sites] | [My Ubuntu Guides]

doc.gwos.org, the real successor of Ubuntu Guide

Beans

I just tried this method, and if I attempt to pause any audio output et al with AOSS as the sink, it locks the browser. So back to Auto for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I've never had this problem. jarrett.world, did you try the ESD symlink as well?

Beans
    Hidden!

Does this file need to be reove libesd-alsa0?
    Also do you select oss as the output in put or alsa for both
    Advantages and Disadvantages of 64bit.(Plus install Guides)

‘In search of some small measure of peace, that we all seek, and few of us ever find.’

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

libesd-alsa0 is necessary for the AOSS output to work.

Beans
    Hidden!

thanks
    Advantages and Disadvantages of 64bit.(Plus install Guides)

‘In search of some small measure of peace, that we all seek, and few of us ever find.’

Beans

I didn't actually, I just tried your method, the symlink seemed like a bit of a hack to me

Quote Originally Posted by NeoChaosX
    I've never had this problem. jarrett.world, did you try the ESD symlink as well?

Beans

NeoChaosX, if I was 100% sure you weren't a guy, I would kiss you! But I'm not. So um...I won't. But I'm still really happy. I'm on a 100% alsa setup now. Now there are no sound lags in flash. And also, mplayer sync way better now. It was okay before, but now it SYNCS. Happiness has arrived! And is ensuing. Also, I believe sound quality is higher.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoChaosX
    I've noticed that a common sound problem a lot of users have is when they're browsing the web, there's no sound from Flash animations. For some, this is a blessing, but for people who do browse sites that use the stuff (Homestar Runner immediately comes to mind), sound is necessity. So I cooked up this quick guide on how to fix it.

First, off, I'll say that one common solution I've seen thrown around is
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libesd.so.0 /usr/lib/libesd.so.1
    This usually works in getting Flash sound to work. However, in some configs, this causes Flash sound to go out of sync. If this happens, delete /usr/lib/libesd.so.1 and follow these steps...

1) Set up your system to use ALSA dmix mixing and AOSS emulation according to this thread.

2) Install the alsa-oss package.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install alsa-oss
    3) Open up /etc/mozilla-firefox/mozilla-firefoxrc in gedit or whatever your text editor of choice is. Then, modify this line
    Code:
    FIREFOX_DSP="auto"
    to
    Code:
    FIREFOX_DSP="aoss"
    What this does it let Flash run through ALSA's OSS emulation. So Flash sound will not only be in sync (because it isn't forced through another layer of sound like ESD), but it will also play even if you have other apps that use sound running in the background.

Hope this helps.
    "So switching to if-then-else blocks might be good Computer Science theory, but using goto's is good Engineering. Since the Linux kernel is one designed to be used, rather than to demonstrate theory, sound engineering principles take priority."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This did not resolve sound in flash for me. The only change was that Firefox freezes when shut down with aoss enabled.

- Ketil

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast