Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can Dash to Panel be installed on Ubuntu 22.04.3?

Beans

How can Dash to Panel be installed on Ubuntu 22.04.3?

https://extensions.gnome.org/extensi...dash-to-panel/

• I've installed gnome extensions or shell.
    • I've downloaded the Dash to Panel zip file. This file is downloaded dash-to-paneljderose9.github.com.v59.shell-extension.zip
    • I've rebooted Ubuntu
    • there's no option to move the Top Bar thingy into the Dock down the bottom...it wastes previous space and blocks dragging windows along monitors.
    • The documentation doesn't help, just says how to use CLI to install gnome shell or extensions.
    • Can't find a clear video guide on it, the install just works on videos but not on my Ubuntu.
    • Chromium browser has GNOME Shell installed.
    • Ubuntu Dock has been moved by Ubuntu's Settings to the bottom and autohide
    • It's this superfluent Dash Panel thingy at the top of Ubuntu, taking up valuable monitor space and bumps windows when I drag them from monitor 1-3 and vice versa. The top panel thingy needs to be merged into the Dock at the bottom.
    • The Dash-to-panel website says I've install GNOME Shell integration is running.
    • I ran: sudo apt-get install chrome-gnome-shell sudo apt-get install gnome-browser-connector
    • Chrome extensions says: GNOME Shell extensions website Has access to this site
    • I'm researching what Extension Manager is https://itsfoss.com/extension-manager/, however this seems to not solve the issue and rather than this work-around, I'm sure there's a clearer path with fewer steps to install and run.

Beans

Re: How can Dash to Panel be installed on Ubuntu 22.04.3?

First, install gnome-shell-extension-manager
    Open it, and use the "browse" button on top bar to search for the "Dash to Panel" Extension (see screenshot)
    Click on "install".
    To configure the extension, click on the "installed" button on top bar and locate the extension. Click the gear icon to configure.
    Switch it on if it's not already on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I think gnome-shell-extension-manager is installed.
    As per Dash-to-Panel website, it asks you to install this Gnome Extension thingy. So I did that and the website confirms this Gnome Extension thingy is installed and running.

I then also view the Browser Extensions window which shows:
    Gnome Shell Extensions is installed (shown below). When I select this extension, this extension opens the Dash-to-Panel website (shown above):

None of these windows show any option to turn on/toggle on anything?
    Last edited by kotgc; December 9th, 2023 at 01:03 AM.

Beans

That image is not from Gnome Shell Extension Manager. To be sure you have it, run:
    Code:
    sudo apt install gnome-shell-extension-manager
    If you have it already, it will tell you it's already installed. Otherwise you need to go ahead and install it.

When launched, Gnome Shell Extension Manager will first show a window like the attached image below.
    Follow the steps in post #2 to install the Dash to Panel extension.

The instructions you are looking at are obsolete. Disregard them. That was the way it was done several years ago. It doesn't work any longer with the Firefox browser that Ubuntu supplies. So now we use this new utility which is much easier.

Beans

Yes, gnome-shell-extension-manager is installed.
    Although I'm not sure if it's running? In Chromium browser, I select Extensions -> GNOME Shell integration.
    I don't see that screenshot you have shown?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kotgc View Post
    Yes, gnome-shell-extension-manager is installed.
    Although I'm not sure if it's running? In Chromium browser, I select Extensions -> GNOME Shell integration.
    I don't see that screenshot you have shown?
    The gnome shell extension manager is not part of any browser. It's a separate application. You would launch it from the Activities Overview. See the screenshot. If you see two icons like the screenshot, launch the blue one labeled "Extension Ma..". The name is truncated to fit.

The green one is an older application that can't search for and install extensions as the blue one can. (I should really uninstall it)

Beans

Yes, Ubuntu 22.04.3 shows the Extension Manager is install, although a search for 'dash to panel' has no results?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

Quote Originally Posted by kotgc View Post
    Yes, Ubuntu 22.04.3 shows the Extension Manager is install, although a search for 'dash to panel' has no results?
    The search box is not the most accurate in this 22.04 extension, but it is improved in later versions.

Open the Extension Manager (Blue Icon as mentioned by Dennis N)
    Choose Browse mode.
    To the right of the search box, there is a drop down arrow.
    Select Name or Downloads
    Type Dash in the search box.
    Any good?
    Last edited by tea for one; December 10th, 2023 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Also suggested selecting Downloads

Beans

If it helps you find the extension, I get it to show as the first result when I sort by Relevance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

@Dennis N
    Which version of gnome-shell-extension-manager do you have?

On Ubuntu 22.04, I have version 0.3 and it only displays four search options:-
    Popularity
    Downloads
    Recent
    Name

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast