Thread: Guidance needed for installing python 3

Beans

Question Guidance needed for installing python 3

Hello,

I am attempting to install python3 using miniconda. I also want to install the spyder package. The official miniconda guide says to download an installation file and run that file. https://docs.conda.io/projects/conda...all/linux.html

Previously, I attempted to install a graphics driver via a .run file, and many problems were caused. So I am hesitant to install via files versus using apt-get or other distro library commands, for example. Basically, I want to know if it is safe to follow this guide. Also, should I install on my SSD which I keep my OS on, or would it be better to install on an HDD that has more storage. Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Guidance needed for installing python 3

Which release of *buntu are you using?
    python3 comes with recent releases. It should not be necessary to install it.
    From the terminal ....
    Code:
    python3 -V
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Rather, what to do you want to do and what libraries do you think you will focus on?

Yes If you are on a supported version of any flavor of Ubuntu, you have Python 3 installed already. But it all depends on what you want to focus on and what tool sets you want to use.

I do Python 3 Development, I like to use Eclipse PyDev. There's other things I do with Ananconda.

Honestly, I have never hear of Minconda, but it sounds like maybe a subset of Anaconda, trying to latch on to Anaconda's popularity.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Oh, thank you, I was unaware of this. Able to check and I have Python 3.8

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Rather, what to do you want to do and what libraries do you think you will focus on?

Yes If you are on a supported version of any flavor of Ubuntu, you have Python 3 installed already. But it all depends on what you want to focus on and what tool sets you want to use.

I do Python 3 Development, I like to use Eclipse PyDev. There's other things I do with Ananconda.

Honestly, I have never hear of Minconda, but it sounds like maybe a subset of Anaconda, trying to latch on to Anaconda's popularity.

Hi. I have used R in the past and mostly have a background in science and data analysis. I thought python would be fun to try and make some simple projects on. I want to learn programming, but I don't currently have money for school. So I figured I would just mess around in my free time.

Miniconda is a lite version of Anaconda that doesn't install anything but bare minimum of libraries. I was thinking of using it for package management, but tbh I'm not really sure what I'm doing. If it's recommended to just use pip, I'll probably stick with that.