Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: nvidia 390 driver on 23.04/23.10

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: nvidia 390 driver on 23.04/23.10

That would explain why it was working just fine for a year and then just gave up the ghost.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Thank you. I was doing some internet searching but should have checked launchpad. I'll subscribe to that bug. This works perfectly, thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Here is the problem:
    Code:
    scottbomb@laptop:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ cat grap*
    deb https://ppa.launchpadcontent.net/graphics-drivers/ppa/ubuntu/ jammy main

Is for Jammy, you were all talking about newer releases sand where it was dropped, which is a different issue altogether than to make it work for Jammy.
    Read the second half of this: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....4#post14175164

The 6.5.0 kernel was compile with gcc-12... Jammy has gcc-11. You will see, by the bug-report, changing the compiler in the work-around still doesn't work for NVidia's legacy drivers. Therefore the second half of that post is the work-around for legacy drivers... Uninstall the 6.5.0 series kernels and pin the kernels to 6.2.0 or remove the HWE stack so the kernels are at the 5.15 series.

Canonical & Launchpad is trying to work on a fix for legacy drivers working with 6.5.0 and newer kernels, but they are not there yet
    Last edited by scottbomb; February 11th, 2024 at 09:08 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Pasque View Post
    I've had multiple people tell me that the Jammy version of 390 in my PPA worked for them with 6.5, and while I don't have an Nvidia card to fully test it, I was able to verify that it builds/installs correctly in a Jammy VM.
    As for the Mantic version, I just straight copied the binaries from the Jammy version and didn't test it, so I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't work.
    I have a laptop that is stuck at nvidia-driver-390. I can test and verify that... I might have some time tonight to do that. BRB

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@Yellow Pasque:

It built and worked just fine:
    Code:
    mafoelffen@Mikes-ThinkPad-T520:~$ nvidia-smi
    Mon Feb 12 18:28:58 2024       
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    | NVIDIA-SMI 390.157                Driver Version: 390.157                   |
    |-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+
    | GPU  Name        Persistence-M| Bus-Id        Disp.A | Volatile Uncorr. ECC |
    | Fan  Temp  Perf  Pwr:Usage/Cap|         Memory-Usage | GPU-Util  Compute M. |
    |===============================+======================+======================|
    |   0  NVS 4200M           Off  | 00000000:01:00.0 N/A |                  N/A |
    | N/A   71C    P0    N/A /  N/A |    181MiB /   964MiB |     N/A      Default |
    +-------------------------------+----------------------+----------------------+

| Processes:                                                       GPU Memory |
    |  GPU       PID   Type   Process name                             Usage      |
    |=============================================================================|
    |    0                    Not Supported                                       |
    mafoelffen@Mikes-ThinkPad-T520:~$ uname -r
    6.5.0-17-generic
    I added it as a fix to my work-around post in Installations & Updates, credited to you: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....4#post14175164

Which is also linked from post #2 of my "Graphics Resolution" sticky
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; February 13th, 2024 at 03:38 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123