Thread: I thought I'd share...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I thought I'd share...

In case you've been living under a rock, or just spending the day under one for the heck of it, Novell won 'the trial'

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14786202

In case you've been living under one for six years, a jury more or less brought an end to a six year legal battle between SCO and Novell (and IBM). SCO sued Novell to prove they had control over UNIX copyrights, which would then allow them to continue a case against IBM. SCO says that IBM made contributions to the Linux kernel which were copied from their implementation of UNIX... And they sought to collect steep license fees for the use of Linux. They've gone bankrupt several times over the litigation process, only to be necromanced by foolhardy investors. But now SCO may rest in peace

What do y'all think?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: I thought I'd share...

I had heard about this before and thankfully common sense prevailed with the court decision. The other heavy is will be MS vs Linux, but they get into trouble all the time about being a monopoly. Still they are pushing patent 'infringement' as a threat to 'extort' compensatory payments. Look at the recent TomTom settlement. TomTom had to pay to get MS off their backs. TomTom uses linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOtaku View Post
    In case you've been living under a rock, or just spending the day under one for the heck of it, Novell won 'the trial'

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14786202

In case you've been living under one for six years, a jury more or less brought an end to a six year legal battle between SCO and Novell (and IBM). SCO sued Novell to prove they had control over UNIX copyrights, which would then allow them to continue a case against IBM. SCO says that IBM made contributions to the Linux kernel which were copied from their implementation of UNIX... And they sought to collect steep license fees for the use of Linux. They've gone bankrupt several times over the litigation process, only to be necromanced by foolhardy investors. But now SCO may rest in peace

What do y'all think?
    I don't want to lose my Linux...

Beans
    Distro

Good for Novell, and Linux.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Austin25 View Post
    I don't want to lose my Linux...
    Well its very unlikely you ever will

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Why doesn't SCO die?
    The finding of unity in variety is really what we call knowledge..... Vivekananda.