Thread: Having a hard time installing Ubuntu - can't see disks

Beans

Having a hard time installing Ubuntu - can't see disks

I am having a heck of a time installing Ubuntu on a new machine I built. Keep in mind, I have installed Ubuntu on dozens of different computers since version 14.04 and never had an issue. I suspect the root of my problem is the Gigabyte GA-J1900N-D2H Quad Core Celeron mini ITX motherboard.

I am using two new drives - a Patriot Burst Elite 240GB and a Western Digital Red Plus 6TB. I have verified that the SATA is set to "AHCI" in the BIOS, and that the BIOS recognizes both drives.

I have tried installing 22.04 Server from a USB drive, and Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop from a USB drive. I have even tried installing 16.04 Server from a USB drive just to see if an older version would see the drives.

Ubuntu Desktop gives this message: "You need at least 14.8 GB disk space to install Ubuntu. This computer only has 7.9 GB." (That's the size of the USB drive.)
    Ubuntu Server gives this message: "Block probing did not discover any disks"

I googled the "block probing" and a few sites sent me to a page about a bug where I need to unmount the USB drive. I tried that and it only showed me the USB drive as space available to install Ubuntu.

I would appreciate any help you could provide.
    Last edited by kb0wwp; 1 Week Ago at 01:15 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Having a hard time installing Ubuntu - can't see disks

Which release are you trying to install?

In the BIOS Setting menu, please take a photo with your phone showing where is see's you attached drives, and what is says your SATA Mode is.

We'll do the diagnostics from a Desktop Edition Live Image so that we have more abilities to exchange information easily. That way you can cut/paste the command into a Graphical terminal session, and cut/paste the output within the Code Tags of a post in a browser...

Please boot from a Desktop Installer LiveUSB, > Try > Open a terminal session.

From there, please post the results of this command, posted within Code tags:
    Code:
    lsblk -e7 -o name,label,size,fstype,mountpoint,model
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; 1 Week Ago at 02:51 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Have you updated UEFI and SSD firmware to latest available?
    Even new models may have an update.

New systems typically need new kernel & driers that are only in newer distributions.
    So testing with an old obsolete versions is not worth the effort.
    I might then try 24.04 even though those with servers like to wait for 24.04.1 release for stability.

Is SSD a NVMe type? Those often conflict with a SATA port. Check manual.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I can verify that I did not see any surprises in DEV-Noble Server. It was stable.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Hi,
    It seems the motherboard is old and may have some dependencies to install new Ubuntu versions. The 'block probing' bug is a known bug of Ubuntu. You may try this thread for enabling legacy mode and boot.